A sweet vegan treat found amidst the 364 other cookie recipes in Anna Ginsberg’s The Daily Cookie cookbook, these yummy spicy sweet cookies are a perfect end to a lunch or dinner as well as an irresistible nibble with your mid-morning or afternoon tea. It’s a good thing, Ginsberg formulated this recipe to deliver a small batch — only 16 cookies — so you don’t have to worry about blowing your new year’s diet resolutions too badly even if you do eat more than a few.
Small Batch Molasses Cookies
Recipe found in The Daily Cookie: 365 Tempting Treats For the Sweetest Year of Your Life by Anna Ginsberg
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons vegetable or melted coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons mild molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons drained, unsweetened applesauce
- Sparkling sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Mix the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and salt together in a small bowl.
- Mix brown sugar, oil, molasses, vanilla, and applesauce together in a medium-sized bowl.
- Add flour mixture to brown sugar mixture and stir until blended.
- Scoop up tablespoonfuls of dough and shape into 3/4-inch balls. Arrange about 2-1/2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets and press down to about 1/2-inch thickness.
- Sprinkle tops of the cookies with sugar.
- Bake one sheet at a time for 13 to 15 minutes.
- Let cool on the baking sheets for 2 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.