Sweet, spicy and irresistibly good, this easy pear sauce makes a lovely holiday side dish. Make extra and swirl it into your oatmeal, scoop it onto seeded whole grain toast, or warm it up and pour it over your favorite vanilla dairy-free ice cream.
Spicy Pear Sauce
Makes 2-1/2 cups
- 10 ripe but firm pears, halved, cored, diced
- 1/4 cup water
- Zest and juice of 1 small lemon
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1-1/2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Generous pinch of salt
- In a medium saucepan, combine ingredients and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 25 minutes or until pears are very tender. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Use an immersion blender to break pears down into a chunky sauce.
- Continue to simmer until sauce is thickened to your desired consistency.
- Transfer sauce to mason jars and seal immediately. Let cool then refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.