The autumn season always niggles my cravings for warm spices, especially in the morning when I need an extra kick to crawl out of a cozy bed. These vegan scones are studded with crystallized ginger, which gives my tongue a sweet zing and enlivens the start of my day.
Ginger Raisin Scones
- 1 tablespoon ground flax
- 3 tablespoons warm water
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup warm coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons dairy-free milk
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 3 tablespoons minced crystallized ginger
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, stir together flax and water. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and sugar.
- In a second small bowl, whisk together coconut oil and milk. Whisk in flax mixture.
- Add coconut oil mixture to flour mixture and stir until well combined.
- Divide dough into 8 portions and form into disks. Place on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden. Let cool on the pan for 5 minutes then serve warm.