Pumpkin soup seems to get all the glory in the harvest months, but we prefer the luscious flesh of the butternut squash. This creamy vegan soup features the shapely winter fruit (yes, botanically, winter squash is a fruit) along with coconut cream and tangy-sweet sun dried tomatoes.
Cream of Butternut Squash Soup
Serves 4 to 6
- 1 small butternut squash
- 1-1/2 to 2-1/4 level teaspoons brown sugar
- Salt and ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 carrot, peeled, finely diced
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup coconut cream (thick cream from the top of 2 cans of coconut milk)
- 2 to 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 to 2 tablespoons Bella Sun Luci sun dried tomatoes, julienne, ready to eat
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cut the top and bottom off a butternut squash so the orange is fully showing on each end. Discard the ends. Cut the squash in half long ways.
- With a thin soup spoon, scrape out the seeds and membrane and throw away.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil over squash and then sprinkle the brown sugar and some salt and pepper on the top and bottom of the squash.
- Place on a parchment lined heavy sheet pan face down and roast on the middle rack for 45 minutes.
- Turn over and roast an additional 15 to 30 more minutes, or until very soft.
- Remove from oven and let cool, until cool enough temperature to peel. Discard the peel and measure the amount of squash you need. Set aside.
- While the squash is roasting, heat the stock to a simmer on a back burner.
- Put a heavy bottom soup pot (2 to 3 quarts or bigger) on a front burner, on a high flame.
- Add the other tablespoon olive oil, heat then add the onion. Saute 4 to 6 minutes, stirring often, until golden.
- Add the carrots and celery, turn to medium-high and saute for 5 more minutes.
- Add the garlic, season with salt and pepper, turn to low and saute 5 to 10 more minutes, or until soft.
- Add the cream, turn to medium, bring to a simmer. Next turn to low, simmer, 5 minutes. Add the broth, turn to high, bring to a simmer. Add the squash and stir.
- Hold the sun dried tomatoes and your soup cups separately in a warm place.
- Carefully, in small (1- to 2-cup) batches, puree the soup.
- Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve hot, and garnish with the sun dried tomatoes.