Vegan Challah Bread
Yields 1 loaf
- 1 tablespoon ground flax
- 2 cups plus 3 tablespoons very warm water
- 5 teaspoons yeast
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 5 to 7 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- In a small bowl, mix together flax and 3 tablespoons water. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups water with yeast and 1 tablespoon sugar. Set aside for 5 to 7 minutes until the yeast gets bubbly.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together remaining sugar, salt and 2 cups flour. Add flour mixture to the yeast mixture and stir to combine.
- Add flax mixture, oil, and 3 cups flour, continuing to mix until mixture forms a tacky dough. Add more flour if dough is wet or sticky.
- Dump dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for a few minutes.
- Oil a large bowl and place dough in the bowl, turning to coat. Cover bowl and set it aside in a warm, draft-free place. Let dough rise for 1 hour.
- Use your fist to punch the dough down. Dump onto the lightly floured surface and knead for a few minutes.
- Divide the dough in half and split each half into three even portions. Roll portions into long even ropes. Make 2 braided loaves, 3 strands per loaf.
- Transfer loaves to a baking sheet lined with parchment. Allow dough to rise for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until bread is baked through and lightly browned.
- Let bread cool slightly before serving.