Have you seen the latest news about The Big Bang Theory actress Mayim Bialik’s vegan Rosh Hashana Vegan Honey Cake? Don’t worry, despite the recipe name, it doesn’t have any honey. Bialik swaps in agave for the sweet stuff. Her recipe is amazing. And it inspired us to do a little experimenting of our own. We came up with this vegan holiday cake recipe that is also made with agave but has a slightly different ingredient list than Bialik’s recipe. Bake both (one can never have too much cake, right?) and see which one you love the most.
Rosh Hashana Agave Cake
- 2 tablespoons ground flax
- 6 tablespoons water
- 3/4 cup pure cane sugar (try Zulka Morena Pure Cane Sugar)
- 1 cup agave
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup warmed coconut oil
- 2/3 cup water
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2/3 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a tube pan.
- In a small bowl, mix together flax and water. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand up mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat sugar, agave, applesauce, oil, and water until well combined. Add flax mixture and beat until incorporated.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- Pour flour mixture into sugar mixture. Mix until ingredients are blended.
- Stir in walnuts and raisins.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.