A popular between-meal elixir in Germany, this vegan drink recipe features a lovely combination of dried herbs, seeds, and flowers which are readily available in the bulk herb or tea section of your local natural foods store. You can find this European-inspired recipe along with many other ethnic vegan recipes in Mark Reinfeld’s vegan cookbook The 30 Minute Vegan’s Taste of Europe (De Capo Lifelong Books, September 2012), featuring amazing plant-based makeovers of classic European fare.
Six-Herb Botanical Juice
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons fennel seeds
- 2 tablespoons dried lemongrass
- 2 tablespoons dried rose hips
- 2 tablespoons dried hibiscus flowers
- 2 tablespoons dried chamomile flowers
- 2 teaspoons dried peppermint leaves
- 3 cups freshly juiced apple juice
- Sweetener of your choice
- Bring water to a boil in a small pot over high heat. Remove from the heat.
- Add the fennel, lemongrass, rose hips, hibiscus, chamomile, and peppermint. Stir well, and allow to steep for 20 minutes. Strain well.
- Add the juice and mix well. Add the sweetener to taste and mix well.
- Pour into 4 glasses with ice.