The coming of fall sends me to the kitchen to bake cookies and many other sweet comfort food recipes. These vegan cookies are the perfect after-school treat as well as a popular bake-sale eat. Swap in a gluten-free flour and you’ve got the perfect allergen-free dessert.
Raspberry Thumbprint Cookies
- 2 cups coconut oil
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- Generous pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup raspberry preserves
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In the bowl of a stand up mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine coconut oil, sugar, coconut milk, and lemon juice. Blend on high until smooth.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour and salt.
- Add flour mixture to the mixer bowl and blend on low until moistened. Scrape down bowl and blend for another minute.
- Form dough into 24 balls.
- Arrange dough balls onto 2 greased baking sheets and gently flatten them. Use your fingers to pinch around the edges to flute them, if desired.
- Use the back of a small spoon and press an indentation into the top of each cookie.
- Bake for 10 minutes, rotating the baking sheets after 5 minutes.
- Fill each cookie with preserves. Bake for 5 minutes longer, rotating after 2 to 3 minutes.
- Let cookies cool on baking sheets for 10 minutes.
- Transfer cookies to a wire rack and allow them to cool for 10 to 15 more minutes before eating.
- Store completely cooled cookies in an airtight container, layered with waxed paper.