Pumpkin Cocoa Nib Cupcakes
- 2 tablespoons ground flax
- 6 tablespoons water
- 2/3 cup vegetable shortening
- 3/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup soy milk
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 cup canned pure pumpkin
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, drained
- 2/3 cup cocoa nibs plus more for garnish, if desired
- 1 recipe vegan white frosting
- Sprinkles (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and grease a 12-cup muffin pan.
- In a small cup, mix together ground flax and water. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a standup mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat shortening until light and fluffy.
- Beat in flax mixture, maple syrup, and soy milk.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, ginger, and allspice.
- Add flour mixture to the shortening mixture and beat just until moistened.
- Add pumpkin and pineapple and mix just until blended.
- Stir in cocoa nibs.
- Evenly divide cupcake batter among muffin cups.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until cupcakes bounce back after being lightly pressed.
- Cool in the muffin pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Invert and allow cupcakes to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Spread frosting on cupcakes and garnish with sprinkles or more cocoa nibs.