When the falling temperatures chill you to the bone, set a big pot of this spicy soup on to simmer. Loaded with spinach, white beans, and veggies, you’ll get a delicious dose of nutrition with every spoonful.
Spicy Spinach and White Bean Soup
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 cups packed fresh spinach leaves plus more for garnish
- 4 cups tomato juice
- Generous pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 (15-ounce) cans white beans, rinsed, drained
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, carrots, celery, bell pepper, and jalapeno. Cook, stirring often, until carrots are just tender.
- Stir in garlic and spinach and cook, stirring, until spinach starts to wilt.
- Add tomato juice and cayenne, stirring to combine. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add white beans and cilantro and season with salt and pepper. Simmer for 5 minutes then serve garnished with fresh spinach leaves.