Have you had your barley lately? This nutty chewy grain is an underappreciated ingredient that can be deliciously swapped in for rice, served as a warm or cold salad, and even used as a stuffing for veggies. We love barley and created this simple barley salad so you can fall in love with it, too.
Pesto Barley Salad
- 2 cups pearl barley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup homemade vegan pesto
- 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- Fresh basil leaves for garnish
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add barley and salt and cook until barley is tender, about 45 minutes. Drain and rinse barley under cold water.
- Transfer barley to a large bowl and toss with pesto and tomatoes.
- Serve garnished with fresh basil leaves.