When you’re craving something sweet and fruit isn’t going to cut it, a homemade baked treat can’t be beat. The warm combination of chocolate and bananas tucked in a flaky pastry pocket will quickly become one of your favorite go-to vegan snacks in the fall.
Chocolate Banana Empanadas
- 1 medium ripe banana, peeled, sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- Recipe for 2 pie crusts
- 1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup Zulka Pure Cane Sugar
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, mash the banana with the cinnamon and cayenne.
- Roll out pie dough and using a 3-inch round cookie or biscuit cutter, cut out 18 circles.
- Divide the banana mixture and chocolate chips (about 3 chips each) among the circles.
- Brush the edges with some water, fold in half, and press with the back of a fork to seal.
- Transfer the empanadas to the prepared baking sheet. Brush with water and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.