Broccoli Sweet Potato Cakes
Serves 4 to 5
- 1 pound broccoli florets, chopped into small pieces
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled, diced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- In a large pot, combine broccoli, sweet potatoes, onion, and water. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium and cook, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Drain mixture and use a potato masher to mash ingredients together. Add thyme and season with salt and pepper. Mash again.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Divide broccoli mixture into 10 patties.
- In batches, adding more oil if needed, cook patties for 5 to 6 minutes on each side.
- Serve hot with vegan butter and sour cream.
Cook’s note: You can make these cakes up to 2 days ahead, let them cool completely, and keep them refrigerated until ready to serve. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. and place cakes on a baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes or until heated through and crisp on the outside.