Just because you don’t eat butter doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy gourmet butter-like spreads. Even vegans can make use of compound butters in their favorite vegan recipes. Here’s how to make vegan butters chockful of herbs, spices, and more.
Vegan Compound Butter
Makes a little over 1 cup
- 1 cup vegan butter, softened at room temperature
- Add-ins (see below)
- In a small bowl, mix together butter and add-ins of your choice.
- Dump butter onto a piece of waxed paper and form butter into a log roll.
- Wrap waxed paper around butter and place in the refrigerator.
Add-ins for compound butter
- Italian vegan butter: 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning, 1 minced garlic clove, pinch of crushed red pepper, 2 tablespoons minced sun-dried tomatoes
- Olive vegan butter: 1/4 cup finely chopped pitted Kalamata olives, 1 heaping tablespoon fresh parsley
- Chipotle vegan butter: 1 tablespoon minced chipotle in adobo sauce, 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro, 1 tablespoon minced red onion
- Lemon pepper vegan butter: 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest, a few grinds finely ground black pepper
- Fresh herb vegan butter: 2 tablespoons mixed minced fresh herbs
- Ginger garlic vegan butter: 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger root, 1 minced small garlic clove
- Cinnamon sugar vegan butter: 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
Make your own combination of ingredients for compound butter based on your favorite vegan meals and ingredients you have on hand.