Though oats are naturally gluten-free, they can be cross contaminated with gluten when packaged and sent to market. To ensure your oats are free of gluten, buy only certified gluten-free brands. Then make this nutty gluten-free granola and put it at the top of your go-to vegan breakfast recipes.
Nutty Gluten-Free Granola
Yields about 8 cups
- 3-1/2 cups certified gluten-free rolled oats, uncooked
- 1/2 cup flaked unsweetened coconut
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups dried fruit of your choice (try dried blueberries, chopped dried dates, raisins, or dried cranberries)
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. and oil 2 large rimmed baking sheets.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, coconut, nuts, and seeds.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, maple syrup, vanilla, and salt. Pour oil mixture over oat mixture, tossing well until ingredients are well combined.
- Spread granola on prepared baking sheets. Bake, stirring every 15 minutes, for 1 hour. For even browning, rotate baking sheets every 15 minutes, too.
- Set baking pans on wire racks and allow granola to cool completely.
- Transfer granola to a large bowl and toss with dried fruit.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 months. You can also place granola in freezer bags and freeze up to 6 months.