I stumbled upon King Arthur Flour’s recipe for vegan clementine cupcakes and loved it so much that I created my own version using the company’s signature ingredients.
Vegan Citrus Cupcakes
Yields 12 cupcakes
- 2-1/4 cups King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons King Arthur Cake Enhancer, optional, for moist texture
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
- 1 cup peeled, diced oranges
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup warm coconut oil
- 1-1/4 cups fresh-squeezed orange juice, divided
- 2-1/4 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- Vegan white chocolate shavings
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease and flour the wells of a standard muffin pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cake enhancer.
- Stir orange zest and diced oranges into flour mixture.
- Whisk together all the dry ingredients, then stir in the chopped clementines or tangerines.
- In a small bowl, whisk together vanilla, coconut oil, and 1 cup orange juice.
- Stir the coconut oil mixture into the flour mixture until ingredients are just moistened.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling each nearly full.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until they’ve domed nicely and bounce back when lightly pressed.
- Let cupcakes cool in the pan for 5 minutes then invert and allow them to cool completely on a wire rack.
- To make a frosting, pour sugar into a medium bowl and add about 3 tablespoons orange juice. Whisk ingredients until they have a frosting consistency. Add a bit more juice if mixture is too thick.
- Spread frosting over cupcakes and garnish with white chocolate shavings.