I’m visiting my family in California and enjoying the bounty of amazing fresh fruits and vegetables that Montana’s climate simply can’t support. Though I can’t sneak my weight in produce onto the plane for my trip back to Bozeman, I will grab a few other locally-sourced ingredients to enjoy when I arrive home. One of these must-eats is Sierra Soups Tuscan Peasant Soup, a yellow lentil soup mix that is vegan and gluten-free. Sierra Soups also offers six additional vegan soup mixes — all of which can be picked up here in the Central Valley or ordered online. This is how I kick up my Tuscan Peasant Soup.
Tuscan Peasant Soup
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 large stalk celery, chopped
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 package Sierra Soups Tuscan Soup, including spice packet
- 1 (46-ounce) bottle V-8 Low-Sodium Tomato Juice
- 4 to 5 cups water
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add onion, carrots, and celery and cook, stirring often, for 3 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook, stirring for 1 minute.
- Stir in soup, spice packet, tomato juice, and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover pot, and simmer for 30 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Stir in fresh parsley and serve hot.