Lasagna is one of those versatile comfort foods that you can change up year round depending on the weather and the seasonal ingredients you have at the ready. Summer is the perfect season for vegans to make grilled vegetable lasagna. Harvest your garden or stock up up on your favorite veggies your local farmers’ market then serve this vegan lasagna to a hungry crowd.
Grilled Veggie Lasagna
- 2 (16-ounce) blocks extra firm tofu, pressed, drained
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup cashews, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano
- Generous pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 to 4 cups pasta sauce
- 12 lasagna noodles, cooked until almost al dente, drained
- 5 to 6 cups grilled vegetables of your choice (we like zucchini and eggplant sliced crosswise then grilled)
- 2 cups shredded vegan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and spray a 13×9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a food processor, combine tofu, onion, cashews, basil, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Process until blended but still chunky. Season with salt and pepper and pulse a few times.
- Spread the bottom of dish with some of the pasta sauce.
- Cover with a single layer of lasagna noodles and drop spoonfuls of tofu mixture to cover noodles. Top with a layer with vegetables.
- Repeat with sauce, noodles, tofu mixture, and vegetables. Save enough tomato sauce to pour over top as the last layer.
- Sprinkle with vegan cheese.
- Cover dish with foil and bake for 35 minutes.
- Remove foil and continue to bake for 15 minutes or until sauce is bubbly.
- Let sit for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.