Baked Lemon Lavender
Yields 18 doughnuts and 18 doughnut holes
- 2 tablespoons ground flax
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon minced dried lavender buds
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, warmed
- 1/2 cup vanilla soymilk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Confectioners’ sugar for dusting
- In a small bowl, stir together flax and water. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, salt, sugar, lemon zest, and lavender.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together coconut oil, soymilk, vanilla, and flax mixture.
- Add coconut oil mixture to flour mixture and stir until just moistened. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Dump doughnut dough out onto a lightly floured surface and roll out to about 1/2-inch thickness.
- Using a 3-inch doughnut cutter, cut dough into 18 doughnuts and 18 doughnut holes.
- Place on a greased baking sheet and bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Let cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes then use a spatula to transfer to wire racks.
- Dust generously with confectioners’ sugar. Serve warm.