Featured in Angelo Sosa’s boldly-spiced cookbook Flavor Exposed, this watermelon salad is an unusual tongue-tantalizing side dish that will show you the delicious versatility of melon. Sweet and savory come together for an attention-getting addition to any meal.
Spiced Watermelon Salad with Aleppo Pepper
- 1 pound watermelon
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons ground Aleppo pepper*
- 1 tablespoon chopped salted Greek black olives
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh mint
- Cut the watermelon into large cubes, remove and discard all the seeds, and place in a large bowl.
- Add the salt, thyme, Aleppo pepper, olives, olive oil, and mint and toss gently to combine.
- Drizzle with the olive oil, and garnish with the mint.
*Aleppo pepper is a crushed chile pepper from Turkey and Syria that is used often in Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cooking. It tastes like an Ancho chile with a kick. If you can’t find Aleppo, substitute crushed red pepper.