Whether you’re growing eggplant in your backyard garden or grabbing the beautifully-colored veggies at the farmers’ market, here’s how to grill thick slices of eggplant to serve as a vegan side dish to your summer meals.
- 4 medium-sized eggplants, ends trimmed, sliced lengthwise into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- In a large bowl, toss eggplant with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Oil the grill grate. Lay eggplant on grill and close the lid.
- Grill for 4 to 5 minutes, use tongs to flip eggplant slices, and continue to grill, covered, for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Eggplant is done when it is tender and has grill marks on both sides.
- Serve hot.
Cook’s note: If you want to add more flavor to eggplant, use a garlic-infused oil or another flavored oil of your choice.