Think tortilla bowls are a restaurant-only treat? Not so! You can make these tasty, fun, and edible bowls at home to fill with your favorite Mexican ingredients. Here’s how to make tortilla bowls and a vegan taco salad recipe to put them to delicious use.
How to make a tortilla bowl
If you’re serious about making tortilla bowls and want to serve them as a regular swap for dinnerware, consider buying a set of tortilla bowl makers, which are fluted molds that can also be used for brioche and other baked goods. If you’d rather not add more kitchen gadgets to your current stock, you can make tortilla bowls by using oven-proof bowls.
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Place 2 or more same-size heat-proof bowls upside down on a large rimmed baking sheet. Make sure your bowls are large enough that when you lay a tortilla over, it doesn’t extend past the bowl onto the baking sheet.
3. Spray the outside of bowls with cooking spray.
4. Lay 1 tortilla over each bowl and press gently against the bowl.
5. Bake for 10 minutes or until tortillas are lightly browned.
6. Remove baking sheet from the oven and allow tortillas to cool completely before removing from the bowls. Tortillas will harden as they cool.
7. Set tortilla bowls right side up and fill with your favorite ingredients or try this tasty vegan taco salad recipe!