Phyllo is one of those intimidating ingredients that is really easy to use. Buy a box of phyllo and try this scrumptious Greek-inspired vegan dinner recipe. Once you master using phyllo, it will become a go-to ingredient in your kitchen.
Vegan Greek Phyllo Calzone
- 1 tablespoon olive oil plus more for brushing
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup diced button mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes packed in olive oil, drained
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 6 sheets phyllo, thawed, kept under a damp towel until needed
- 1/2 cup vegan feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion, pepper, mushrooms, and tomatoes, and cook, stirring, until softened and lightly browned. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in pine nuts, marinara, and parsley. Bring to a simmer, stirring well, then turn off the heat.
- Spread phyllo in a stack and cut in half.
- Use a pastry brush to brush olive oil in between each layer of phyllo.
- Spread marinara filling on one half of each stack of phyllo and sprinkle with feta.
- Fold the phyllo over the filling and firmly press edges together to form a packet.
- Transfer to the baking sheet and brush the tops with olive oil.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until phyllo is lightly browned.
- Serve hot.