Chocolate chip cookies never disappoint but we like experimenting with new vegan ingredients. Lieber’s butterscotch chips are a delicious swap in for chocolate chips in this tasty vegan cookie recipe.
Vegan Butterscotch Cookies
Makes 24 cookies
- 1 tablespoon ground flax
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup rolled oats, coarsely ground in a food processor or blender
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups vegan butterscotch chips
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. and line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, stir together flax and water. Set aside for 5 minutes or until thickened.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- In a large bowl, beat sugar and butter until combined. Beat in flax mixture and vanilla.
- Add flour mixture to sugar mixture and stir until combined. Stir in butterscotch chips and walnuts.
- Drop heaping tablespoonfuls of dough onto baking sheets, spacing dough about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until cookies are set. Let cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes then transfer to wire racks to continue to cool.