If the aroma of fresh baked cinnamon muffins isn’t enough to make your mouth water, the tender crumb and crunchy top of these vegan muffins will certainly give you a reason to wake up in the morning and put breakfast on the agenda.
Cinnamon Cocoa Nib Muffins
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 6 tablespoons cold vegan butter
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup vegan sour cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cocoa nibs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and generously spray a standard muffin pan with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, all-purpose flour, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, and butter. Use your fingers to rub ingredients together until it resembles coarse meal. Place bowl in the refrigerator.
- In a large bowl, whisk together oil, sugar, applesauce, almond milk, sour cream, and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, remaining cinnamon, and salt.
- Add flour mixture to the oil mixture and stir until moistened. Stir in cocoa nibs.
- Divide batter evenly among the 12 muffin cups. Sprinkle the brown sugar mixture evenly on top of each muffin.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until muffins are golden and spring back when pressed lightly.
- Cool in the muffin pan for 10 minutes then carefully invert and serve warm.