Oh so delicious and well worth the wait, coconut sticky rice is the ultimate comfort food. Plan ahead because you’ll need to soak the rice for at least six hours before steaming it. Sweet, juicy mango turns this already-amazing sticky rice into an over-the-top vegan dessert experience.
Coconut Sticky Rice with Mango and Mint
- 1-1/2 cups glutinous (sweet) rice, rinsed well, soaked for 6 hours, drained
- 1-1/3 cups coconut milk
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- Generous pinch of salt
- 2 large ripe but firm mangoes, halved, peeled, sliced
- Fresh mint leaves
- Place soaked rice in a sieve and let in a large pot of simmer water (rice should not touch water). Cover the pot and steam rice for 30 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan over medium heat, whisk together coconut milk, sugar, and salt. Bring to a simmer, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Reserve 1/2 cup and refrigerate the 1/2 cup until ready to serve.
- Transfer cooked rice to a large bowl and add warm coconut milk mixture, stirring well to coat. Set aside for 30 minutes to allow rice to absorb coconut mixture.
- Place rice on individual serving plates. Serve with mango slices, drizzled with reserved coconut milk, and garnished with mint.