Warm sweet cherries enrobed by melt-in-your-mouth pastry makes for an amazing vegan breakfast.
Sweet Cherry Strudel
- 2-1/2 cups pitted sweet cherries
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1-1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1 (17-ounce) package frozen puff pastry, thawed
- Powdered sugar
- Fresh mint
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine cherries, sugar, orange zest, and coconut oil. Cook, stirring often, until sugar is dissolved and the mixture is hot.
- In a small bowl, whisk together orange juice and cornstarch. Stir orange juice mixture into cherry mixture and bring to a boil. Cook, stirring, for 1 more minute or until mixture has thickened.Remove from heat.
- Stir walnuts into the cherry mixture and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. and grease a large baking sheet.
- Unfold 1 pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface. Cut it in half. Use a rolling pin to roll pastry out a few times to even thickness.
- Mound half of the cherry mixture on top of 1 of the pastry halves, spreading to about 1/2-inch of the edges. Place the other pastry half on top and seal the edges all the way around the filling. Pinch the edges to seal or use the back of a knife to press edges together.
- Repeat with the remaining puff pastry sheet and cherry filling.
- Set pastry on top of the prepared baking sheet. Use a sharp knife to make diagonal slits in the top of each strudel. Spray with cooking spray.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.Transfer strudels to a wire rack to cool slightly.
- When ready to serve, cut each strudel into 5 slices.
- Garnish with powdered sugar and fresh mint.