Veg Campfire Hobo Packets
Any combination of vegetables you have on hand can go in these vegan hobo packets. If you’re going to include potatoes or sweet potatoes, consider par-cooking them beforehand since they take longer than the other vegetables to cook.
- 2 red onions, halved, sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded, cut into strips
- 1 large zucchini, diced
- 2 broccoli crowns, cut into florets
- 1 (15-ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed, drained
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Combine all ingredients in a large airtight container, tossing to coat well with the olive oil. Seal and pack.
- When ready to cook, make sure the flames of your campfire have subsided but the logs are hot. You’ll be cooking the packets over the coals.
- Tear off 4 large sheets of aluminum foil and lay on a flat surface.
- Toss vegetables well then evenly divide among the sheets of aluminum foil, piling veggies in the center of each sheet.
- Fold foil over the veg mixture and seal the edges.
- Set packets over the coals and let cook for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. You can also cook packets on the grill, if you have one at the campsite.
- Use tongs to remove packets from the fire. Carefully open packets making sure not to get burned by the steam escaping. Serve immediately.