I’m a garlic junkie. I admit it. The more ways I can find to consume it, the happier I am. And bonus, garlic isn’t just a pungently tasty bulb to add to your cooking, it is also lends a heart-healthy boost to your meals. Partnered with antioxidant-rich sweet potatoes, the two deliciously marry to deliver a double dose of nutrition to your diet.
Toasted Garlic Smashed Sweet Potatoes
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled, cut into evenly-sized chunks
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano, minced
- 1/4 cup vegan butter plus more for serving
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup soy creamer
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cook potatoes in a large pot of boiling salted water until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a small skillet over low heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring often, until the garlic turns golden.
- Quickly remove from heat so you don’t scorch the garlic. Drain the oil into a glass container and keep for another use.
- Set the garlic aside.
- When potatoes are tender, drain all of the water from the pot.
- Add the oregano, butter, and 1/4 cup creamer to the potatoes and smash with a potato masher. Add more creamer if desired; the consistency should be somewhat chunky.
- Smash in the garlic and season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer potatoes to a serving bowl and lay pieces of butter on top. Serve immediately.