Fruit crumbles are one of my favorite desserts, especially in the summer when berries and peaches are ripe for the picking. I crave these juicy, sweet desserts so strongly that I’ve come up with an easy way to ensure I can get a fruit crumble in the oven in 5 minutes or less. My secret? Keeping a giant batch of crumble topping in the refrigerator. Here’s a crumble topping recipe that will allow you, too, to have a fruit crumble whenever your craving for a fruity vegan dessert arises.
Fruit Crumble Topping
Makes 6 cups
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups vegan butter, chilled, in pieces
- 1 cup sliced almonds, chopped walnuts, or chopped pecans
- Place all ingredients except butter and nuts in a food processor and pulse a few times to combine.
- Add butter and pulse until mixture looks like coarse meal with pea-sized pieces.
- Transfer crumble topping to an airtight container and stir in almonds.
- Use immediately or refrigerate for up to 1 month.