Microwave popcorn may be convenient but have you read the ingredients list on the popular brands? Butter or other questionable ingredients are commonplace and, even if you aren’t vegan, do you really want to consume chemicals along with your popped treat? Though it is old-fashioned, popping popcorn on your stovetop is easy once you get the hang of it. Best yet, you get to control the ingredients you use so you know you’re getting a healthier vegan snack. Here’s how to pop popcorn on the stove.
Basic stovetop popcorn
Makes 5-1/2 cups
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/4 cup popcorn kernels
- Salt to taste
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the popcorn and shake the pot to coat the popcorn kernels.
- Cover the pot. When the kernels start to pop, start shaking the pot, holding down the lid, until the popping stops.
- Remove the pot from the stove and transfer popcorn to a big bowl. Eat warm.
Cook’s note: If you want to add flavor to your popcorn, simply toss warm popcorn with your favorite herbs and spices, coconut flakes, or cocoa powder.