Red carrots, yellow carrots, purple carrots, oh my! I love carrots and I love serving a rainbow of foods that catch the eye while delighting the palate. Orange carrots are awesome but imagine your kids’ excitement when they see carrots of another color. ColorfulHarvest.com offers red, orange, yellow, and white carrots all grown from heirloom seeds. You can also find purple carrots at some specialty markets that carry heirloom vegetables. This candied carrot recipe is delish with regular orange carrots but is especially kid-pleasing when you swap in a rainbow of colorful carrots.
Candied Purple and Yellow Carrots
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 pounds carrots, tops trimmed
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon agave
- 1 orange, cut into wedges
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add carrots and cook, tossing occasionally, until carrots turn golden, about 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together orange juice, water, and agave until agave is dissolved.
- Pour juice mixture into skillet and stir in orange slices. Bring to a simmer then reduce heat to medium-low.
- Cover skillet and cook for 10 minutes or until carrots are just starting to get tender.
- Uncover skillet and increase to medium heat. Simmer until liquid is almost evaporated.
- Sprinkle sugar over the carrots and stir carrots. Cook until they are glazed, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in parsley and season with salt and pepper. Serve hot.