- 6 cups granulated sugar
- 6 cups white vinegar
- 1/4 cup celery seed
- 1/4 cup mustard seed
- 3 tablespoons cracked black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons canning salt
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup packed fresh dill
- 30 to 35 pickling cucumbers, cut lengthwise into spears
- In a large pot, combine sugar, vinegar, mustard seed, celery seed, and salt. Bring to a boil over high heat. Remove from heat and stir in garlic and dill.
- Divide cucumber spears among tall mason jars, filling about 2/3 full. Pour pickling mixture into jars, filling them up almost to the top.
- Seal jars and let cool. Refrigerate overnight before eating.
- Store pickles in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.