Onion jam may be a popular grab at the gourmet shop but it is also an easy and delectable condiment you can make right at home. Best yet, it only takes about 1 hour from stovetop to table. Onion jam can be served warm or straight from the fridge.
Sweet Onion Jam
Slather jam onto toast for breakfast, spread on bread for sandwiches, stir it into grain side dishes, and toss it into pasta for dinner.
Makes 2 cups
- 4 large sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cups red wine
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Pinch of cayenne
- Generous pinch of salt
- A few grinds black pepper
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, stir together onions and wine. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and simmer uncovered for about 30 minutes or until mixture is thick and the liquid is evaporated.
- Transfer to a serving dish or divide into mason jars, seal, and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.