Pizza is one of those meals that you can sink your teeth into any time of year. Summer pizzas are especially fun because you can scatter so many different combinations of in-season ingredients over a crust and enjoy a unique pizza variation after every visit to the farmers’ market or your own home garden. This pizza is made simply — onions, bell peppers, olives, tomato sauce, and tofu seasoned with fresh herbs.
Red Onion Peppers and Olive Pizza
- 1 (12-ounce) box of soft tofu
- 1/4 cup finely chopped mixed fresh herbs of your choice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1 (9- to 10-inch) ready to bake pizza crust
- 3/4 cup chunky tomato sauce
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded, thinly sliced
- Handful of pitted olives
- Shredded vegan cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, mash together tofu, herbs, salt and pepper to taste, and lemon zest.
- Spread pizza crust with tomato sauce. Drop mounds of tofu on crust and flatten with the back of a spoon.
- Scatter remaining ingredients on pizza.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until toppings are hot.
- Slice and serve.