Polenta is a classic Italian dish that has become one of my all-time favorite comfort foods, especially when it boasts flavorful fire-roasted tomatoes and tender chard. This belly-warming vegan dinner recipe can also serve as a vegan side-dish.
Polenta with Fire-Roasted Tomatoes and Chard
Serves 4 to 6
- 5 cups water
- 1 cup instant polenta
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 bunches Swiss chard, woody stems trimmed away, leaves coarsely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1 (28-ounce) can fire roasted diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- Bring water to a boil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Slowly whisk in the polenta until smooth and creamy.
- Add 1 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of black pepper. Remove from the heat, cover and keep warm.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the chard leaves and cook until tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain the chard and set aside.
- Add vegan butter to a large skillet and swirl until butter is melted. Add the chard and toss to coat. Stir in tomatoes and simmer for 2 minutes. Stir in parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide the polenta among 4 to 6 bowls. Top with the tomato chard mixture. Serve immediately.