Fruity, coconutty, and dairy-free, this easy strawberry ice cream can be in your bowl in 30 minutes or less. An ice cream maker is one of the best kitchen gadget investments for vegans because you can make dairy-free frozen desserts with your favorite ingredients every day of the week and save money doing it. (If you don’t believe it, take a stroll in front of the dairy-free frozen dessert section — pints of dairy-free ice cream are often just as expensive as half gallons of premium dairy-based ice cream.)
Coconut Strawberry Ice Cream
Makes 1-1/2 quarts
- 2 pints fresh strawberries, trimmed
- 1 (15-ounce) can lite coconut milk
- 3 cups coconut-based vanilla yogurt
- Sweetener to taste
- In a blender, combine 1 pint strawberries and coconut milk, and puree. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add yogurt and sweetener to the bowl and whisk to combine.
- Freeze yogurt mixture in an ice cream maker following manufacturer’s directions. This will take about 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop half of the remaining strawberries. Add them to the ice cream maker during the last 5 minutes of mixing.
- At this point, you can scoop ice cream into bowls and top with extra strawberries or you can freeze until it firms up. If you freeze overnight, you’ll have to let it sit at room temperature for 15 minutes to soften enough to scoop.