Lunch can certainly get boring with the same old sandwich day after day, so we turned to the veggie, salad and sandwich experts at Tossed for a few inspired vegan sandwich recipe ideas to make our midday meal a mouthwatering endeavor. These tasty sandwich options can also be enjoyed in salad form, if you’re cutting carbs to slim down for summer.
The Roasted Veggie Panini
This is our rendition of the roasted veggie panini at Tossed.
- 1 portabello mushroom
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded, diced
- 1 baguette, sliced horizontally in half
- Handful of arugula
- Vegan cheese of your choice
- Balsamic vinaigrette
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Toss mushrooms, onion, and peppers with oil and place on a baking sheet. Roast, stirring occasionally, until veggies are lightly browned.
- Brush the cut side of baguette halves with oil and pile veggies on the bottom half. Drizzle with vinaigrette and place top half of baguette on arugula.
- Cut in half and serve.
Other vegan sandwich ideas:
Tofu Wrap: Nestle tofu, carrots, sugar snap peas, shiitake mushrooms and romaine hearts in a wrap of your choice, or toss with filling ingredients with baby spinach in a bowl and drizzle with a honey sesame dressing.
DYO (Design Your Own): Because variety is the spice of life, simply mix and match tasty ingredients you have on hand. Here are some vegan ingredients that might be used for a sandwich or a salad: spinach, sun-dried tomatoes, dried cranberries, apples, peppers, cucumbers, banana peppers and almonds. You can eat them plain, drizzle with a dressing of your choosing or just add some freshly squeezed lemon juice for a refreshing tang.