Spring cleaning doesn’t have to mean scouring your home with chemical-heavy cleaners. The experts at The Maids Home Services, the oldest and largest residential cleaning franchisers in the United States and Canada share few of their green cleaning tips.
Green cleaning tips
1. Recycle your holey T-shirts
Old t-shirts and socks? Don’t throw them away – use them to clean! They’re easy to throw in the laundry when dirty and you’ll help the environment along the way by avoiding use of paper products.
2. When given a lemon…
As an alternative to bleach, use lemon juice to remove stains from clothing.
3. Naturally cut grease in the sink
Drop lemon slices or one tablespoon vinegar into a sink of soapy water to help cut grease and stubborn leftover food from dishes and glasses.
4. Reach for vinegar
Use undiluted vinegar to clean and disinfect your toilet. Add vinegar to the bowl, scrub with a brush and flush.
5. DIY cleaning supplies
To create a non-toxic all-purpose cleaner, mix equal parts of baking soda and water. Polish chrome with a small amount of baby oil on a soft, clean cloth.
- 03/11/2013 • Tired of pots boiling over? Kitchen gadget stops spills
- 03/05/2013 • Home decor: Go green and cheap with di Potter’s Paper Table Collection
- 03/04/2013 • Refresh for spring gift idea: Thymes Mandarin Coriander Bar Soap
- 02/27/2013 • Spring cleaning: Natural solutions to harsh household cleaners