Ready to start your Cinco de Mayo morning with a delicious and refreshing boost of Mexican-inspired ingredients, such as avocados, tomatillos, peppers, lime and cilantro? This healthy green drink is courtesy of Chef Ina Pinkney of Ina’s Restaurant in Chicago. Ole!
Ina’s Guaca Mary
Serves 4 to 6
- Kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons grated lime zest
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice, divided
- 2 cups peeled, cubed cucumber
- 1 fully ripened avocado from Mexico, halved, pitted, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup raw cubed tomatillos
- 1 cup halved seedless green grapes
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 whole seeded fresh Serrano pepper
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 6 dashes green hot sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1-1/3 cups unsweetened coconut water
- Tequila or vodka, optional
- Avocados slices, grape tomatoes and pickled onions for garnish
- On a small flat plate, stir together 3 tablespoons salt and the lime rind. Set aside.
- Pour 1/4 cup of the lime juice into a shallow bowl and set aside.
- In a blender, combine cucumber, avocado, tomatillos, grapes, cilantro, Serrano pepper, remaining 1/4 cup lime juice, celery salt, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, the hot sauce and black pepper. Blend until smooth (mixture will be slightly thick).
- Transfer to a 2-quart pitcher and stir in coconut water. Add tequila or vodka to taste, if using.
- To serve, dip glass rim in reserved lime juice, then into salt and lime rind mixture.
- Add ice and fill with Guaca Mary.
- Thread avocado, grape tomatoes and pickled onions onto toothpick or skewer for garnish, if desired.