My son loves rigatoni because he can maneuver the pasta onto his fingers as well as use them as binoculars (preferably sans sauce). This vegan rigatoni recipe featuring grilled vegetables is ideal for your spring and summer family menus. Best yet, it’s packed with flavor, easy to prep, and a meal that your kids will quickly dig into.
Rigatoni with Grilled Veggies
- 1 red onion, cut into thick slices
- 1 large red bell pepper, cored, cut into strips
- 2 zucchini, sliced crosswise
- 2 tablespoons olive oil plus more for drizzling
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 8 ounces rigatoni
- 1 cup sun-dried tomatoes packed in olive oil (do not drain), chopped
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped Kalamata olives
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup crushed seasoned croutons
- Preheat grill to medium heat and place a large pot of salted water over high heat to boil.
- Place pepper, zucchini and onion in a large bowl. Add oil and vinegar and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper and toss to coat again.
- Place veggies in a grill basket or tray, such as The Pampered Chefs Grill Tray.
- Add rigatoni to the boiling water and cook according to package directions until al dente. Drain and reserve 1/2 cup pasta water.
- Meanwhile, place veggie tray on the grill and cover. Grill, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are lightly charred and tender.
- Transfer veggies to a cutting board and coarsely chop.
- Add rigatoni, grilled vegetables, sun-dried tomatoes, olives, parsley, and croutons, tossing to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.