Beans and pasta make a deliciously balanced vegan meal. Let this easy pasta e fogioli recipe be a culinary springboard for you to mix and match the canned beans, type of pasta, and veggies you have on hand for a unique and yummy dish every time you make it.
Vegan Pasta e Fagioli
- 6 ounces medium-sized pasta shells or elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (15-ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes (do not drain)
- 8 ounces green beans, trimmed, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 (15-ounce) cans kidney beans, rinsed, drained
- 3 to 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup finely sliced fresh basil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook pasta according to package directions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, celery, and carrots and cook, stirring often, until vegetables are tender.
- Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Stir in tomatoes, green beans, kidney beans, 3 cups broth, and Italian seasoning. Bring to a low boil then lower heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in cooked pasta and basil. If desired, add another cup of broth to make it soupier.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve hot.