Spring may mean warmer weather but it doesn’t mean the temperature will always be above chilly, especially if you live in the mountains where spring snows are a regular occurrence. This vegan soup recipe is the answer to what’s for dinner when you want a lighter meal that also warms your belly.
Black Bean and Sweet Potato Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled, cubed
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed, drained
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Lime wedges
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, and jalapeno. Cook, stirring often, until onion is translucent.
- Add garlic, coriander, cumin, and paprika and cook, stirring often, for 1 minute.
- Add broth and sweet potatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Add beans, cilantro, and salt and pepper. Simmer until beans are hot.
- Serve immediately with lime wedges.