Looking for a vegan lunch recipe that has staying power for your busy afternoon? Sink your teeth into this protein-packed sandwich loaded with garlicky white beans, watercress, olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
White Bean Watercress Baguettes
- 1 (15-oz) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil plus more for brushing baguettes
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 small baguettes, split (toasted, if desired)
- Balsamic vinegar to taste
- 1 cup loosely packed trimmed watercress sprigs
- In a small bowl, coarsely mash beans with a fork then stir in garlic, lemon juice, oil, and parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
- Brush the cut sides of baguettes with olive oil then sprinkle with balsamic vinegar.
- Mound bean mixture onto one half of each baguette. Top with watercress then remaining baguette halves.
- Slice baguettes crosswise in half. Serve immediately.