Broccoli is a hardy crucifer that is rich in cancer-fighting phytochemicals and a must-eat green veg that can be enjoyed raw or cooked. We love tranforming broccoli into this healthy, satisfying, restorative soup.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 leeks, ends trimmed, white parts and tender green parts thinly sliced (do not use tougher green parts)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- Generous pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 large head of broccoli, cut into florets
- 6 cups spinach
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon thyme
- 3 tablespoons creamy almond butter
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Toasted sliced almonds for garnish
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add leek and cook, stirring often, until tender.
- Add broth and red pepper flakes and bring to a boil. Add broccoli, cover pan, and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, or until broccoli is just tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in spinach, lemon thyme, and almond butter, stirring until spinach is wilted and almond butter is melted into soup.
- Stir in parsley and season with salt and pepper.
- Working in batches, puree soup in a food processor or blender. Serve immediately garnished with almonds.