Sweet, savory baked beans swimming in a thick molasses sauce are a filling vegan side dish that is so good, you might find yourself eating it as your main meal. You can also serve this beans with vegan brown bread for a hearty vegan lunch or dinner.
Vegan Boston Baked Beans
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 (15-ounce) cans white beans, rinsed, drained
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat oil in a medium-sized oven-safe pot over medium heat. Cook onions, stirring often, until softened and lightly browned.
- Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in molasses, maple syrup, and tomato sauce. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the beans, stirring to combine, and bring to a simmer. Cover the pot and place it in the oven.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Give the beans a stir. If the sauce is thick, bring beans out of the oven and serve hot. Continue to cook for 15 to 20 minutes more if the sauce is thin.
- Season with pepper to taste. Serve hot.