- 1 recipe Vegan Olive Oil Pie Crust
- 2 cups dried apricots
- 1-1/2 cups orange juice
- 1 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1-1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter
- Raw sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. and line a baking sheet with waxed paper.
- Line a 9-inch pie plate with 1 pie pastry and trim it evenly with edge of plate. Cover plate with plastic. Roll remaining pastry out and cut into 18 strips. Place strips on prepared baking sheet, cover with plastic and place in the refrigerator along with pie plate.
- In a medium saucepan, combine apricots and orange juice and soak for 5 minutes. Stir in 1/2 cup sugar.
- Place saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Cover, reduce heat to medium, and simmer for 20 minutes or until apricots are very tender. Drain most but not all of the liquid off.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cornstarch, and salt. Sprinkle 2 to 3 tablespoons of sugar mixture onto the pie pastry in pie plate. Stir remaining sugar mixture into apricots.
- Pour apricot mixture into pie plate. Dot with pieces of the vegan butter.
- Using a pastry brush, moisten the edge of the pie pastry in pie plate. Create a lattice top with strips of pie pastry. Trim edges even with rim. Use the back of a fork and press pastry edges along rim of plate. Brush lattice strips with water and sprinkle with raw sugar.
- Bake 30 minutes or until crust is lightly browned and apricot mixture is bubbling. Let cool on a wire rack to allow apricot filling to set. Slice and serve.