Vegan Corn Chile Chowder
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups plain soymilk, divided
- 4 cups fresh or frozen (thawed) corn kernels, divided
- 1 (8-ounce) diced green chiles
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder or to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until onion is softened.
- Sprinkle in the flour and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Slowly pour in 3 cups of the milk, whisking continuously to blend, and then bring the mixture to a boil. Stir in 2 cups of corn and the chiles. Bring to a vigorous simmer, lower heat, and stir in chipotle. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a blender or food processor, combine remaining milk and corn. Add cilantro and pulse until thick.
- Add thick corn mixture to the soup, stirring to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Return the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve hot, garnished with diced red pepper.