Saffron is an invaluable spice in my kitchen. It adds its distinctive flavor and scent with just a pinch of red-orange threads, lends a warm hue to food, and deliciously boosts your antioxidant intake (though not much, every pinch helps). Protein-rich tofu chunks bathed in a saffron broth makes for a simple, mouthwatering memorable, and restorative soup.
Simple Tofu in Saffron Broth
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- Generous pinch saffron threads
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Pinch of cayenne
- 4 green onions, sliced (green and white parts)
- 1 pound tofu, pressed, cut into bite-sized chunks
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, bring broth, saffron, lemon zest and juice, and cayenne to a simmer.
- Add green onions and tofu, stirring to combine. Simmer on medium-low for 10 minutes. Serve hot.