Risotto is a romantic comfort food that is easily served as an attention-getting vegan side dish or scrumptious, belly-warming vegan meal. This risotto recipe boasts creamy rice studded with diced sweet potatoes and sun-dried tomatoes.
Sweet Potato Risotto
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled, diced small
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1-1/3 cups Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- Finely chopped fresh parsley or herbs of your choice to garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place sweet potatoes, onion, thyme, and garlic in a roasting pan. Drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and toss to coat. Roast for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove 3/4 cup diced sweet potatoes and set aside. Pop garlic cloves out of their skins. Place garlic and all but the reserved sweet potato mixture in a blender or food processor and puree.
- Meanwhile, heat broth in a saucepan. In a second saucepan over medium heat, add rice and stir for a few minutes until rice is lightly toasted.
- Add 1 cup broth and stir rice until liquid is absorbed. Then add broth 1/2 cup at a time, stirring until liquid is evaporated. Stir in more broth and sweet potato puree into rice and cook, stirring, until liquid is evaporated.
- Continue to add broth until rice tender and creamy. Stir in tomatoes.
- Ladle risotto into bowls and garnish with reserved sweet potatoes and herbs.